Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Busselton 70.3 - not to be

Yep, I can rhyme - awesome (see title)

As you may have deciphered from the title unfortunately I didn't end my season on a high. But that is the magic that is racing! Please find below a re cap of my day

I headed down Thursday morning solo and comfortably settled in for the day, no training just chullin. We've (Luckin's and Tyacks) stayed in the same place 2 years in a row now and it's amazing great house and great location. The weather was nothing to write home about. Actually that would be the case if you were from NZ, for us Perth desert dwellers it was CRAAZZYYY. All this wet liquidy stuff was falling from the sky, and I found my self having to wear what is apparently commonly known in other parts of the world as a "jumper..?"

Friday was not much better with more rain falling, the nervous vibes were high, so after some face time at the Total Tri tent I found my self heading home after an easy ride and run with Jono, Lisa, Andy, Andy and Tom.



Later in the arvo I headed back to check in and get some taping done on my troublesome back by SUPER RUTH (the computer won't actualy let me type it in lower case). By Friday night I was checked in and packed, ready to see what my body could do on Saturday.

I woke Saturday morning after a rain interupted sleep, feeling good. I went through my usual pre race routine and found my self at transition with Seano as soon as it opened. I like doing this as it leaves nothing to chance.

I was set up pretty quickly and proceeded to warm up and get the new Orca Alpha wetty on (thanks total tri). With renewed confidence in this wetty I was looking forward to a solid swim. I lined up to the right near favourite (in my eyes) big Andrew Tyack (he's not big as in fat, I just call him big for some reason...), Luke Burton and some other gents.



The horn went and we were offskies into the rough swelly ocean. This was by far the roughest the swim in recent history of the race, so it was going to be interesting fo sho. I got off to a good start and rounded the first bouy in a good position. From here I set my sight on the furthest turning bouy and thought "haha suckers I am off!!" yep what a fool! It was I who was headed to the wrong bouy and had to make and emergency late turn. Smooth move Lucky! I was pretty frustrated and this played on my mind when I rounded the last bouy to shore

"Gah I must be so far behind", "I bet I've swum 4608 minutes" and "does my bum look big in this new wetsuit?" were just some of the thoughts that went through my mind when I finally reached the shore. I was however pleasantly surprised when I came out about 2 seconds behind Andrew "hairy chest" Tyack and only less than 30 seconds behind Luke "dammit I only beat Paige by a few seconds" Burton.

A quick T2 and I was actually onto the bike first out of us three. Andy came around and signaled me to come with him about 5k in. "Ok here we go Lucky!" I thought. I was ready to roll. Ready to launch a great attack on the bike, lead from the front RIDE SUB TWO HOURS, COURSE RECORD YEAAA BABY

I turned the proverbial throttle and we were off! Sorry, Andy and Luke at that 6 year old girl on her huffy was off. I was not. Not at all. Oh god how I wish that girl on her Huffy didn't beat me. (please see below a picture of her actual bike)



I had nothing, nothing at all. To be honest this wasn't a complete shock and I think it was a long season (for me anyway) catching up. I proceeded to ride the next 90k's as fast as my spaghetti legs would carry me. Haha reading this must be a real let down, but this is an honest acount! :) It was a dark ride for me, but I continued to plug away.

Finaly I reached T2 in 2.28 at least 10 minutes slower than expected/planned/I am able to ride. I dismounted and threw my new On Cloud Racers on. God they looked good, realll good. I strolled out of T2 and tried to hit half ironman race pace, 3:50's. I ran at what felt like sprint pace for almost 2k's. It just wasn't happening. I tried so many times on the bike to get myself going and on the run but it just wasn't my day.

I stopped put my hands on my head and had a little cry. During this time Paige ran past me in the opposite direction, she was having a blinder. During this time I also came up with a cover story "I'm not crying, two small birds just flew into both of my eyes at the same time while I lifted my glasses off my head momentarily and they made my eyes water..." Yep. Smooth.



Moments later my knight in shinning armour (not gay) ran past, Sean "I make Mark hurt the most out of everyone" Jermy. Before I knew it I was running again. We both were having shockers so we decided to help each other out. (read Sean helped me out)

We proceeded to run together for the next 19.1k's. What a legend. In hindsight this was a great opportunity. I got to run the next 19k's running spending every second looking for other people I knew racing cheering them on. It was a great feeling and I was glad to be able to give a little bit of support back for once.



About 4 hours and 40 mins after we started Seano and I ran down the finish shoot together. We crossed and I gave him a big manly not girly hug. I'm not sure I would have had the guts to finish without him. The photo below about sufficiently sums up my feelings from a visual perspective after the race....attractive



Seconds later I saw Paige, she did brilliantly and I was so proud. Mainly because she had done super well and not beaten me, nice.

I was pretty gutted but was reminded by a few people about my season before this race. To hit 3 out of 4 goals was pretty awesome. Before I knew it I was showered and I had a beer in my hand.

So the race didn't go to plan but like I stated at the start that is racing. Result or not I wouldn't of been on the start line without help from my supporters Total Triathlon, On shoes, Ryders Eyewear, SIS. Further Brian Kempson my coach and Guy Grawford and Kate Bevilaqua who I have been bugging for some great advice recently. Further further, my family and their ever lasting support.

A big congrats goes to Luke Burton who I train with who made it onto the podium. Nice race mate :) Andy Tyack, we started racing together and you are still kicking my arse, haha dammit! Seano and Jono the two boys who get the most out of me in training and have to put up with everything else, unlucky but cheers boys :) Finally Paige who has to put up with much more. In her first 70.3 and she podiumed in her age group, honestly no surprise to me and I am so proud :)

Well after this blog I am going to put up a quick season review which always makes me think :) for now I have 2 - 3 weeks of easy happiness and sleep ins :) then build for VEGAS :)

Until next time thanks for reading :)